Dmwu.exe located at “C:\Windows\system32\dmwu.exe” with the name IBUpdaterService is a malicious web browser extension and browser helper object (BHO) for Internet Explorer and extension voor Firefox and Google Chrome from Performersoft LLC. This file known as a Web Optimizer is related to adware, and has a malicious reputation and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detect this files as “PUP.InstallBrain”.
When Dmwu.exe is present on your system it will display pop-ups and other advertising in your installed browsers, dmwu.exe is also able to track your browser and internet activity and will slow down your browser or will cause some failures with dmwu.exe because it is a well known issue that dmwu.exe will crash when the installed browser are started.
Furthermore, it may download and install additional adware spyware onto your computer without your knowledge. Some products detect this application as PUP.InstallBrain adware, others simply flag it as generic Trojan horse. I recommend you to remove dmwu.exe from your computer and you can use the instructions below.
Dmwu.exe IBUpdaterService removal instructions
All tools used in our malware removal guides are completely free to use and should remove any trace of malware from your computer.
Please be aware that removing Malware is not so simple, and we strongly recommend to backup your personal files and folders before you start the malware removal process.
1. Run a scan with AdwCleaner to remove Dmwu.exe IBUpdaterService
Download download AdwCleaner to your desktop.
- Important! Before starting AdCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers.
- Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
- Click on Delete, then confirm each time with Ok.
- Your desktop icons will be disappear, this is normal so don’t be worry about that.
- Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
- NEXT, double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
- Click now on Uninstall, then confirm with yes to remove AdwCleaner from your computer.
3. Run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove Dmwu.exe IBUpdaterService
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
- Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder and click on Remove Selected.
- If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
- If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- After the restart in Normal mode, start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats.
3. Run a scan with HitmanPro to remove remnants of Dmwu.exe IBUpdaterService
- Double click on HitmanPro to start the program, if you are experiencing problems while trying to start HitmanPro, you can use the Force Breach mode.
- To start HitmanPro in Force Breach mode, hold down the left CTRL-key when you double click on HitmanPro and all non-essential processes will be terminated, including the malware processes.
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- The program will start to scan the computer. The scan will typically take no more than 2-3 minutes.
- Click on the next button and choose the option activate free license
- Click on the next button and the infections where will be deleted.
- Click now on the Save Log option and save this log to your desktop.
- Click on the next button and restart the computer.
Restore the Internet Explorer Settings
- Start Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top right, and then click on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
- Close and open Internet Explorer and check everything is fixed as well.
Restore the Firefox Settings
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window), and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- Click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and wil be reset with the default settings.
- When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and check everything is fixed as well.
Incoming search terms:
- dmwu exe
- pup optional installbrain a
- pup optional installbrain
- dmwu exe removal
- dmwu virus
- ibu updater virus
- ibupdaterservice dmwu exe
- dmwu exe remove
- dmwu exe removal tool
- pup installbrain
- HKLM\Software\InstallIQ (PUP Optional InstallBrain A)
- what is pup optional installbrain a
- IBUpdaterService IBUpdaterService
- hklm software installiq (pup optional installbrain a)