Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers, and therefore also a popular target for installing adware and other untwanted extensions. In this article “How to remove Adware from Google Chrome” we will explain how to easily remove any adware or Potentially Unwanted Programs from Google Chrome.
When Google Chrome is affected by unknown extension or adware, you may experience frequent pop-up ads and redirects to malicious domains. Remove any adware or Potentially Unwanted Programs from Google Chrome using the guide below. We recommend strongly to create a systemrestore point before you start with re removal proces.
How to remove Adware from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on the option Customized and Control Google Chrome it is represented by a 3-Lines icon located at the top-right corner of the browser so as you can see on the screenshot below.
- Select now the option Tools, then, click on Extensions. It opens a window showing all the installed Extensions and plug-ins of Google Chrome.
- Locate adware or Potentially Unwanted Program and click the Trash icon to delete the malicious extension.
- On the left side menu, click on Settings to display current configuration of Google Chrome.
- Scroll down to the ‘On startup’ section with the option ‘Open a specific page or set of pages’ and click on Set pages.
- Click on the X button to remove the unwanted or hijacked startpage from Google Chrome.
- If there is only one startup page and the default startpage is removed, you should create a new preferred web address by clicking Add a new page and type http://www.google.com to set Google as your default startup page.
- Next scroll down to the ‘Appearance’ section.
- Put a Check mark on Show Home Button and click Change.
- Select then the ‘Use the New Tab page’ option. This will disable the new tab option from opening to adware. Click OK to save the current settings.
- Next, you need to restore the default search engine. Scroll down to the ‘Search’ section and click on the option Manage search engines…
- Select you preferred search settings, and you can remove the unwanted search engines by clicking the X button.
How to remove Adware from Google Chrome
All tools used in our malware removal guides are completely free to use and should remove any trace of malware from your computer.
Please be aware that removing Malware is not so simple, and we strongly recommend to backup your personal files and folders before you start the malware removal process.
1. Run a scan with AdwCleaner to remove the Adware
- Download AdwCleaner (from the download button above) to your desktop.
- Important! Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers.
- Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to start the program
- Windows Vista/ 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
- Click on the scan button,
- When the scan is ready click on the Clean butten.
- Your desktop icons will be disappear, this is normal so don’t be worry about that.
- Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
- Close the text file that opens after the restart, double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
- Click now on Uninstall, then confirm with yes to remove AdwCleaner from your computer.
2. Run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a surprisingly effective anti-malware program that let you check the presence of malware. But Malwarebytes has also a very strong detection of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP’s), only the PUP detection will show up unchecked on the results list by default. You have to manually check them for removal.
Tip: If you want more advanced features and the real-time protection you can purchase the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware that will protect you from being infected.
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (from the download button above) to your desktop.
- Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish. If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) and click on Remove Selected.
- You can use the right mousbutton to check the ‘Check all items‘ option before you click on Remove Selected
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- If you accidently close it, the log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
- If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- After the restart in Normal mode, start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and perform a Quick scan to verify that there are no remaining threats.
3. Run a scan with HitmanPro to remove remnants of adware
- Please download HitmanPro to your desktop from one of the download buttons above.
- Double click on HitmanPro to start the program, if you are experiencing problems while trying to start HitmanPro, you can use the Force Breach mode.
- To start HitmanPro in Force Breach mode, hold down the left CTRL-key when you double click on HitmanPro and all non-essential processes will be terminated, including the malware processes.
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- The program will start to scan the computer. The scan will typically take no more than 2-3 minutes.
- Click on the next button and choose the option activate free license
- Click on the next button and the infections where will be deleted.
- Click on the next button and restart the computer.
4. Remove adware with Zemana AntiMalware
Zemana AntiMalware is a second opinion cloud based malware scanner that let you check the presence of malware. But it has also a very strong detection of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP’s), only the PUP detection will show up unchecked on the results list by default. You have to manually check them for removal.
Tip: If you want more advanced features and the real-time protection you can purchase the premium version of Zemana AntiMalware that will protect you from being infected.
- Download Zemana AntiMalware (from the download button above) to your desktop.
- Double-click “Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.exe” and follow the prompts to install the program.
- After the installation you will see the main screen of Zemana AntiMalware as shown below.
- Select the Deep Scan and then click the Scan button.
- When the scan is complete, click Next and the infections where will be deleted.
Incoming search terms:
- remove adware from chrome
- how to remove adware from google chrome
- how to get rid of adware on chrome
- Chrome Malware Removal
- how to remove adware from chrome
- how to get rid of adware
- Google Chrome Malware Removal
- stop malware adware
- chrome adware
- chrome adware removal
- how to remove malware from chrome
- removing adware from chrome